We regard tradition as a springboard to the future

2021

Pet food division spun off as Stroetmann Tiernahrung GmbH & Co. KG

2020

Sixth E center opened in Emsdetten

2018

Mixed-use Hafenmarkt project launched on Münster’s Hansaring street

2016/2017

Complete overhaul of production facility in Querfurt to make it one of the most advanced and efficient processing plants in Germany

2016

Company celebrates its 225th anniversary

2013

New administrative building at Harkortstraße 30 for food wholesale/retail and real estate business units

2012/2013

Restructuring of central warehouse on Harkortstraße for food/fresh produce and seeds/pet food

2012

Cash & carry stores rebranded from Eurocash to L. Stroetmann Großmarkt

2011

Production and logistics centre for seeds opened in Münster-Amelsbüren on A1 motorway

2008

Bulk consumer warehouse in Werne extended and meat factory built

2001

New cereals processing facility built in Hagenow (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, northern Germany)

2000

First E center opened in Münster on Friedrich-Ebert-Straße

1999

December: Partnership with EDEKA to replace Spar Handels AG

1992

Wholesale distribution company L. Stroetmann Großverbraucher GmbH & Co. KG founded, based in Werne (North Rhine-Westphalia)

1987

Partnership with Spar Handels AG replaced agreement with wholesale chain Végé

1973

Cereals business Robert Becker in Oer-Erkenschwick acquired, marking commencement of the propagation, processing and sale of certified cereal seed

1967

First cash & carry store opened in Münster on Harkortstraße

1966

Move from port area in Münster to Harkortstraße 30 in Münster’s Mecklenbeck district

1945

Warehouse and administrative buildings rebuilt at Hafenweg 13 with focus on seed and food divisions

1939

Operations maintained on limited scale until 1944 despite company buildings being damaged by bombing on multiple occasions

1924

Branch of L. Stroetmann opened at free port in Hamburg

1914

Four areas of the business – seeds, fertilisers, food and coffee roasting – in operation at the start of the First World War

1900

One of the first companies to build a multi-storey warehouse directly on the water’s edge in Münster’s port area

1854

Premises moved to Rothenburg 28/29 in Münster (the classical-style building was destroyed in the Second World War; part of the Westphalian State Museum of Art and Cultural History now occupies the site)

1831

Bernhardine Mertens, stepdaughter of company founder Christopher Holtmann, marries merchant Ludwig Stroetmann from Vreden and the company is renamed L. Stroetmann – commercial activity in “colonial goods” and “agricultural seed” extends across northern and central Germany; first imports of seeds

1791

On 20 February, merchant Christopher Holtmann opened a store specialising in colonial goods at Aegidiistraße 18 on the corner of Breite Gasse in Münster – the first accounting book is still in existence and starts with the inscription “God grant fortune upon this beginning”